Want to open a bank account AND make money while doing it? Get the inside scoop on new bank account promotions with with our updated guide for 2017 Bank Promotions in Canada!
Earn free movies or straight-up money -- anywhere between $50 to $300 -- when you open a new account or refer a friend to these banks. We will keep you updated with ongoing offers, so bookmark this and check back from time to time!
Here are some offers currently available through Canadian banks:
PC Financial - Get $100 and an extra $100 with a President’s Choice Financial Mastercard
Up to $100 cash for opening a new no fee bank account. If you don't qualify for the whole lot, you can get lesser amounts for what would do qualify for:
- get $50 in cash when you add payroll or pension direct deposit and have two deposits
- get $25 in cash when you set up and complete two different pre-authorized bill payments
- get $25 in cash when you set up regular, automated transfers online from your chequing account to a PC Financial® investment or savings account, have two automated transfers
Valid until July 31, 2017.
Get another $100 e-gift card and up to 20,000 PC points with when you apply through RateSupermarket.ca for a President’s Choice Financial Mastercard. Sounds like a great idea to me! The e-gift can be redeemed at iTunes, Starbucks, Cineplex, or for an Ultimate Dining Card.
RBC - Free Apple Watch or $79 iPhone
RBC's new account offers new account holders a free Apple watch or a $79 iPhone if you:
- open a Personal Banking Account before September 1, 2017
- complete one of the following by October 31:
- transfer the full amount of your automated and recurring payroll direct deposit or monthly recurring pension direct deposit to your new Eligible Personal Banking Account
- Set up two pre-authorized payments, such as a pre-authorized bill payment or pre-authorized contribution to your investment account
Valid until September 1, 2017.
You can also get an extra 30,000 RBC Rewards Points ($700 value) when you get an RBC Bank Visa Infinite Avion.
CIBC - Get $150 with CIBC Smart Account
You can get $150 when you open a CIBC Smart Account with their mobile banking app. Here's what you need to do to qualify:
- Open a new CIBC Smart™ Account before April 13, 2017 using the CIBC Mobile Banking® App.
- Enter your information and scan a cheque to verify your identity in the app using eDeposit
- Complete a direct deposit or 2 pre-authorized payments within 3 months
Learn more about the CIBC's new bank account promotion here.
Valid until June 30, 2017.
BMO - $100 Cash Bonus
$100 cash bonus for opening an account online after you make a deposit and complete 5 transactions, eligibility limited to:
- deposits of $50 or more
- receiving or sending an interac e-transfer
- making a bill payment
- making an in-store or online purchase using your debit card
- setting up a pre-authorized debit
Valid until July 3, 2017.
Scotiabank - 9 Free Movies
Get 5 free movies (5,000 SCENE points) when you open a bank account. You can get an additional 4 free movies (4,000 bonus SCENE points) when you register for a Scene Visa Card, too. You can use this handy calculator to get a sense of how many points you would earn every year.
Debit Account details:
- Get 1 SCENE point for every $5 you spend using your SCENE debit card
- Get 5X the SCENE points on Cineplex purchases
You can also redeem SCENE points (1000 SCENE points = $10) at the following businesses:
- Sportchek (earn 1 point for every $1 spent)
- Swiss Chalet (earn 1 point for every $3 spent)
- Harvey's (earn 1 point for every $3 spent)
- Montana's (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- Milestones (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- Bier Market (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- East Side Mario's (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- Kelsey's Original Roadhouse (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- Finn MacCool's (earn 1 point for ever $3 spent)
- You can use points to get an $25, $50, or $100 Ultimate Dining Card redeemable at any of the restaurants above
No expiration date on this deal.
Scotiabank is also currently giving away up to $75 in gift cards when folks are approved for their Scotiabank GM Visa and their Scotiabank GM Visa Infinite cards. Nothing like a little extra free money!
TD Canada Trust - $300 Cash Bonus
The Nothing Says "Welcome" like $300 Promotion
TD Canada, who just last year ran a promotion to give away free Samsung smart TVs and Tablets to folks opening a new bank account, recently gave away $300 to everyone who opened a new account and does two of the following tasks within 45 days:
- A direct deposit into the new account
- a $50 pre-authorized debit
- pay an online bill of $50 or more through the TD app EasyWeb
This promotion was extended until October 4, 2017.
Tangerine - $150 in Bonuses, $50 for Referral, plus an extra $50 for your friend!
From now until August 31st, you can earn $150 in bonuses when you:
- Open a Chequing Account with a deposit of $100 = $25 Bonus
- Switch your payroll direct deposits and continue payroll direct deposits for 3 months = $100 Bonus
- Open a Tangerine Savings Account, RSP Savings Account or Tax-Free Savings Account with at least $100 = $25 Bonus
If that wasn't enough, for every friend successfully referred, you’ll earn a double Bonus of $50 and so will your friend! If you start referring now, you could probably earn a pretty penny by the end of the summer!
Valid to: August 31, 2017.
With all of the perks and features it certainly makes financial sense to take advantage of some of these offers.