Teaching Kids cooking skills is fun and interesting to begin with and I guarantee when you teach them how to make a Unicorn Grilled Cheese Sandwich, they won't lose their interest for a second.
They can call them Rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches or Unicorn grilled cheese sandwiches, whatever they prefer. As you might suspect, both recipes are identical.
To start out, make sure you have a soft spreadable butter on hand that won't tear the bread apart. You can use white or sourdough bread for this recipe. Here's how to make them:
- 1) Get the kids to butter one side only on 2 pieces of bread.
- 2) Grate some mozzarella or white cheddar into a bowl and divvy it up into 4 portions. Add some food colouring to each bowl and mix it up.
- 3) In any kind of pattern the kids want, let them put stripes of coloured cheese on one piece of bread on the non-buttered side, in vertical stripes.
- 4) Close off the sandwich with a the other piece of bread, buttered side out.
- 5) Fry it up! You can fry it in a frying pan using a temp of around 7 or so (medium to medium high) and flip it when it's a crispy golden colour and the cheese has melted. You can bake it in the oven at around 450 degrees F for 6 - 8 minutes on each side if you prefer.
When you cut into the sandwich, you'll be able to see the entire rainbow effect of the Unicorn Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Image credit and recipe idea inspired from eHow contributor Garineh Magarian.