Notice: Select PC Brand Hummus Products Have Been Recalled For Staph Infection Toxins!
Loblaws Canada has released an important safety notice. If you have purchased President's Choice brand Hummus products from your local Loblaws recently, then you will definitely want to keep reading. As of yesterday, Loblaws Canada has announced that they are expanding their recall on select varieties of their PC Brand Hummus. I will mention the varieties below. It is possible that these products have come into contact with the toxin produced by Staphylococcus bacteria. Do not consume these products.
You should be concerned if you purchased select PC Brand Hummus products at the following locations on or before today (May 29th):
- Fortino's, Loblaws, No Frills, Box by No Frills Real Canadian Superstore, Valu-Mart, Zehrs, Your Independent Grocer, Shoppers Drug Mart and other affiliated stores.
- Atlantic Superstore, Dominion, Save Easy, Your Independent Grocer, Dominion, Shoppers Drug Mart
- Maxi & Cie, Provigo, Provigo le Marche, Loblaws, Pharmaprix and other affiliated stores
- No Frills, Box by No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore, Extra Foods, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, Your Independent Grocer, Shoppers Drug Mart, other affiliate stores.
As far as future purchases of Hummus products, don't be concerned. All of the units that could have come into contact with the toxin have been removed from store shelves across Canada. If you did purchase one of the recalled PC Brand Hummus products though, you can return them to wherever you purchased them from at the customer service desk. You will get a full refund.
Here are the products that are being recalled, be sure to check the UPC number on your products:
- PC Butterbean & Roasted Garlic Hummus 280g - UPC 60383133924
- PC Caramelized Vidalia Onion Hummus 227g - UPC 60383060510
- PC Chickpea Dip and Spread Hummus 227g - UPC 60383035808
- PC Chickpea Dip and Spread Hummus 454g - UPC 60383035822
- PC Garlic Hummus 227g - UPC 60383035815
- PC Garlic Hummus 454g - UPC 60383035839
- PC Moroccan-Style Hummus 280g - UPC 60383133870
- PC Olive Tapenade Hummus 280g - UPC 60383133887
- PC Red Harissa Hummus 280g - UPC 60383133900
- PC Roasted Garlic Red Pepper and Cumin Hummus 280g - UPC 60383135188
- PC Roasted Pepper and Paprika Hummus 280g - UPC 60383135171
- PC Roasted Red Pepper and Chipotle Hummus 280g - UPC 60383135195
- PC Spicy Hummus 227g - UPC 60383035983
- PC Spicy Hummus 454g - UPC 60383035976
- PC Sweet Potato and Harissa Dip 280g - UPC 60383133917
When it comes to recalls, what happens if we had already consumed the product before hearing about the recall? My dad loves Hummus, so chances are that he would crack into it as soon as he got home. A Staph Infection can be quite serious. If you come into contact with the Staph bacteria (S. aureus), there is a chance you could get skin infections, respiratory disease, and/or food poisoning. Sometimes more serious problems are created. That is pretty scary! What could these companies do to prevent situations like this? What do you think they will do if somebody contracts an infection or disease due to this toxin possibly being in their product? Originally Loblaws had reported that there were no illnesses as a result of this toxin, but now illnesses are being reported.
I googled Staph Infection, and let me tell you.. the images are not pretty. I really hope that nobody comes into contact with this disease. I called my dad right away and luckily he doesn't prefer this specific brand, so had not purchased any recently. Share this with your friends and family to make sure that they don't consume any contaminated products. If you have already dug into some of your PC Hummus, watch out for the common symptoms that come with Staphylococcus poisoning. These symptoms include fever, cramping, vomit, nausea and more. If you have a more severe case you may also experience a headache, muscle cramping and changes in your pulse and blood pressure. This is a serious toxin.