Boredom well and truly setting in? You need to get in on the 'meals in a mug'. Who can be bothered scrubbing pots, pans and dishes when you can do it all in a mug? It makes perfect sense. Here are five of the best meals in a mug recipes around.
Be sure to pick a big mug - no-one want measly portions!
Meals In A Mug
1. Macaroni Cheese in a Mug:
Is there anything more comforting than carbolicious Mac 'n' Cheese? This in mug version is yummy and only takes ten minutes max, from start to finish.
You will need:
- 1/8 cup Macaroni Pasta*(you can use other pasta shapes)
- 6fl oz Cold Water
- 4 Tablespoons Whole Milk (You can use semi-skimmed but I prefer it a bit creamier)
- ¼ Teaspoon Cornflour*
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Strong Cheddar Cheese
- 1/8 Teaspoon English Mustard*
- Salt and Pepper (for seasoning)
- Add the macaroni and water into the mug and microwave for around 3 and a half minutes.
- Once done check that the pasta is soft. If it's not then stick it back in the microwave for 30 seconds and keep repeating until it's soft to touch.
- Now, drain off the excess cooking water.
- Stir in the rest of your ingredients.
- Finally, microwave it for 30 seconds. The sauce should look smooth and rich. If it's not quite right, try another popping it back in for another five-ten minutes.
2. Cheese and Ham Omelette:
I make this all the time. It's keto-friendly too if you skip the soy sauce. Ain't nobody got time to faff about with the frying pan every morning, so this in-a-mug omelette is ideal for breakfast.
- 2 Large Chicken Eggs (I use Duck Eggs)
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cooked Ham
- A Sprinkling of Diced Red Pepper
- Splash of Soy Sauce*
- Cooking Spray*
- Spray the inside of the mug with the cooking spray.
- Crack the eggs into the mug and whisk.
- Pop in the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for a full minute. The egg should be cooked and set. If not keep repeating for 10 seconds at a time until cooked.
3. Nutella Cake in a Mug:
Who loves fudgy, chocolate brownies? Even if you can't be bothered rustling up a batch, you can still enjoy them with this awesome recipe.
- 1/4 cup Self-Raising Flour*
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil*
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa*
- 3 Tablespoons Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)*
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Mix all of the Ingredients in a large mug until it's a smooth batter texture.
- Cook on full for two minutes. If it's not fully cooked, then pop it in for another 30 seconds.
- Best devoured when it's hot!
4. Pizza in a Mug:
- 4 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Powder*
- 1/16 teaspoon Baking Soda*
- Dash of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil*
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce
- Grated Cheese
- Ham, Pepperoni or Topping of your choice
- Add all of the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Stir in the milk and oil and blend thoroughly.
- Smear the sauce on top of the wet base carefully. You want separate layers.
- Sprinkle on the cheese (I use a cheddar/mozzarella mix) and the other toppings.
- Cook on full in the microwave for one minute.
- Enjoy whilst it's hot!
5. Apple Crumble in a Mug:
- ½ Apple (peeled and diced into small pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Maple Syrup*
- A Sprinkle of Ground Cinnamon*
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Water
- 1/8 Cup Salted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fine Oats*
- 3 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 chopped Almonds or Walnuts (you can use more if you like it nutty)
- Mix the diced apple, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and water well.
- Stick in microwave at full power for three minutes.
- Make the crumble by combining the butter, flour, oats, sugar and nuts.
- Pile mixture onto the cooked apples and cook on full power for 2 and a half minutes. Add 10 seconds if you think it's not quite done.
Not got the ingredients? Grab yourself a Mug Cake Set*from Amazon Canada!