There's been a recall on Sargent Art tempera paints and finger paints affecting 13 varieties, which were manufactured and distributed between May 2015 and June 10, 2016, due to potential microbial contamination. The paint may contain harmful bacteria which could have an adverse affect on health in those individuals who are immunocompromised, as a serious bacterial infection could result.
Consumers having a healthy immune system are generally not affected by the bacteria. There have been no reports or incidents or illnesses reported in Canada due to use of this product.
This is a product well known to Canadians and I'm sure many of us have these products in our home. Share this information with your friends who may have this paint in their home for their kids!
- Click here to view more information on the Government of Canada's Healthy Canadians website Re: the Sargent Art Tempera and Finger Paints recall.
Products affected (all colours and sizes pertain to this recall):
- Art-Time Washable Finger Paint;
- Washable Finger Paint;
- Art-Time Washable Flourescent Finger Paint;
- Art-Time Washable Glitter Finger Paint;
- Flourescent Tempera Paint;
- Art-Time Washable Flourescent Tempera Paint;
- Washable Tempera Paint;
- Washable Glitter Paint;
- Art-Time Washable Paint;
- Supreme Tempera Paint;
- Liquid Tempera Paint;
- Art-Time Tempera Paint; and
- Value Tempera Paint.
There were approximately 20,000 recalled products sold in Canada from May 2015 to June 2016 at various retail stores and school/daycare supply stores in Canada and the United States.
If you have this paint in your home, you should stop using it and contact Sargent Art for a refund.
Consumers can contact Sargent Art at 1-800-827-8081 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or by visiting the company's website.