“Hark! How the bells... sweet silver bells… all seem to say... throw cares away." Christmas is coming like a freight train. If you have not purchased all of the gifts you want before the holidays, now is the time to finish your list. If you do not like battling the crowds in the stores close to the holidays, knowing these shipping deadlines is important to make sure you have everything you want by Christmas. The longer you wait, the more you will pay in shipping costs.
Items Will Arrive Before December 25th - Standard Shipping Still Applies
Please note additional deadlines for Express or Next Day are included if available
- Dell (December 16th) Dell has standard 3-5 day business shipping. If you order by December 16th it will get there by Christmas. For two day shipping in time for Christmas you can order by December 21st. To get an item next day in time for Christmas you have until December 22nd at 12 noon to order!
- Homedepot.ca(December 16th-December 17th) Dates vary widely by region for this retailer. If you want an item from Home Depot online by Christmas check the link closely and act fast!
- Hudsons Bay (December 16th-December 22nd) Hudson’s Bay is offering standard shipping up until the last possible moment. Deadlines to order an item are dependent on your region. Express shipping and next day delivery for most locations is available up until December 23rd. Free pickup in store deadlines vary from December 19th to December 22nd.
- Sony.ca (December 17th) Most items ship in time for Christmas if you order by December 17th and free standard ground shipping will still apply. Express 2-day shipping orders must be ordered by December 19th. Rush one day shipping on orders must be ordered by December 21st.
- Amazon (December 18th) Amazon has regular delivery offered by Christmas if you order on or before December 18th (December 16th if you’re in a rural area!). Two day shipping is available up through December 22nd. One day shipping if you order before December 23rd by noon is available. Same day shipping is available on December 24th if you order before noon. Amazon is a shipping champion!
- Staples.ca (December 18th) All items that have an expected shipping date of 1 business day will arrive in time for Christmas if you order by December 18th. If your item says 2 or more business days however, Staples says you need to allow extra time. I would not count on an item marked 2 or more business days arriving in time for Christmas.
- The Source(December 19th-December 22nd) The Source has standard shipping deadlines starting on December 19th - December 22nd depending on your location. Express shipping is available and the deadline varies between December 21st and December 22nd based on location. A few select areas have a December 23rd deadlines by noon for express shipping orders. You can also pick up your order at will call centres in store up until December 24th, but you must have the order placed by 8:00am on December 24th. Will call centres are open until 3pm on December 24th. You can also pick up at will call centres on December 26th.
- Newegg.ca (December 19th) While free shipping isn’t available for Newegg, you can still get 3 day shipping in time for Christmas if you order before December 19th. Two day shipping is available if you order by December 22nd. One day shipping is also available if you order by December 23rd.
- Old Navy(December 21st at noon) Old Navy will allow you to place your order up until December 21st at noon to receive standard shipping delivery in time for Christmas. Rural areas had until December 15th at 2pm to order in time for Christmas. Old Navy will also offer free standard shipping on orders over $50 through December 21st. 2 day shipping deadline for delivery by Christmas is December 22nd by 2pm. One day shipping for delivery by Christmas is December 23rd by 2pm.
- Future Shop (Estimated December 21 for GTA but varies) Future Shop is making it as easy as possible on us to shop. On their site is a little tool that tells you exactly how many days you have left to order. For Toronto you have a generous 7 days left to order, but for other locations it varies. Free standard shipping for all orders over $25! Click on the link and see how many days you have left to order.
- Best Buy (Estimated December 21 for GTA but varies) Sister company to Future Shop, Best Buy is also making it as easy as possible on us to shop. On their site is a little tool that tells you exactly how many days you have left to order. For Toronto you have a generous 7 days left to order, but for other locations it varies. Free standard shipping for orders over $25! Click on the link and see how many days you have left to order.
Items Will Arrive Before December 25th With Express Shipping or Ship to Store Only
- Sears.ca(December 16th or December 17th) The deadline to order from Sears varies based on your location, so make sure you double-check the link. Most locations have a Christmas deadline of either December 16 or December 17 to have an item shipped to store in time for Christmas, and shipping to store is free. To ship to your home some items will ship in time, others will not and there is a lot of variation across items. Check carefully as you checkout.
- SportChek (December 19th) Order by December 19th via express shipping and you’ll have your present in time for Christmas morning. The regular shipping deadline has now passed, so free shipping will no longer apply to get it in time for Christmas.
- Chapters Indigo(December 23rd) Chapters Indigo will let you pay premium shipping to get an item in time for the holiday up until December 18th. If you are in the GTA only you can have it shipped to your home free with basic shipping if you order by December 18th. Chapters Indigo also offers a next day shipping that will be expensive depending on the order, but you can order up until December 23 and still get your present to most major urban areas.
Shipping In Time For Christmas Is Based On The Item You Order and Your Location
- Walmart (dates vary by item) Free shipping at Walmart has now passed if you want your order by Christmas. Walmart will let you express ship items more quickly, but they cannot guarantee all items. Each item will give you an estimated shipping date, so it makes it harder to even approximate. Shipping is also free to Canada Post or other “Grab and Go” locations, which vary by region. Overall some great deals here but they will not guarantee you will get all your items by Christmas unless stated when you add it to your cart. Walmart tends to be quick with their shipping, so it may still make it in time for the big day.
- Canadian Tire (dates vary by item and location) Canadian Tire really wants to get you into their store. Many of the items for sale are available only in store. Canadian Tire is encouraging participation in their pay and pick up in store program. If you want to purchase an item from Canadian Tire, you will have to check your specific item and location on their website. You may also want to consider visiting their stores if it is something you need.
- The Brick(dates vary by item and location) The Brick’s shipping and delivery is all based on stores and warehouses that are close to you. For this retailer you will have to check the specific item you are looking for and shipping will depend on the location you live in.
- Costco.ca (varies but estimated December 16th) Costco items all vary based on the item you choose and the location you’re in. Most items seem to estimate 3-7 business day delivery, but the amount of time can vary. You will need to add an item to your cart to find out if it will make it to you house in time for Santa’s deadline.
- Shop.ca (varies but estimated December 16th) Shop.ca is continuing to use their standard business practice of shipping within 3-7 business days for the holiday season. That makes it harder for us who are ordering close to the Christmas deadline. 3-7 days is a big date range for Santa. Each item should tell you how long it would take to ship, but to guarantee an item by Christmas my estimate is you need to order by December 16th.
- Toys R Us (estimated December 19th) Toys R US shipping policies say most of their items ship from the warehouse in 2-4 business days, but shipping varies per item. If I was ordering and I had to have something from Toys R Us for Christmas, I would go in the store to guarantee I had it or buy somewhere else.
That's a lot of shopping Moosers! Where are you doing your last minute shopping online?
Photo credit: Niels Linneberg