My toddler hates having ice cubes in his drinks for some reason, but during this hot weather I just want to keep his beverages cold. I was on the hunt for a way to make ice cubes fun, and I think I found the perfect solution. You can make these adorable Ice Cream Sail Boats for incredibly cheap. Chances are that if you have kids, you probably have all of the items needed already. So what are you waiting for? Gather up the required things you will need and start making some super fun Ice Cube Sail Boats for the kids.
To get started, you will need the following items:
- hole puncher
- construction paper
- ice cube tray
- and water of course
My son and I made these last night and they didn't take very long at all. I wish I could find a way to get the straw to be half way through the ice cube though so that the kids could still drink out of it! Maybe if you used a small cut portion of a large straw to freeze in the cube, and then inserted a thin straw with the sail through that larger straw? Anyway, here are the general steps to get a finished product like pictured above:
- Take your ice cub tray and fill it up with water, then stick it in the freezer for a while.
- Take the ice cube tray back out of the freezer before it is completely frozen.
- Then, cut your straws in half and place the straw directly in the center of the ice cube. You will want the straw to be as centered as possible so that the boat doesn't tip over when it is floating.
- Then you are going to take the tray and carefully place it back in the freezer to become completely frozen. Be careful you don't knock over any straws on the way over. That is probably the hardest step of this project.
- Now you can cut sails for your boats out of construction paper. I got creative with this step. I cut some flowers and some regular shaped sails. Use your hole puncher to punch a hole at the top and the bottom of your created sail.
- When you pop the ice cubes out of the tray, you can easily slide the construction paper sail onto the straw that is frozen into the ice cube.
Then all you have left to do is pop your Ice Cube Sail Boats into your kid's beverage or bowl of punch at the family BBQ.
For more DIY ideas, be sure to check out all of the canadian crafts here on Bargainmoose. Credit for this project idea goes to SheKnows.com.