All the best public domain books in every format you could ever want for FREE from Project Gutenberg!
Project Gutenberg has been around for a long time, with the goal of collecting and freely distributing public domain books. Nowadays, it is a lot easier, as they can distribute them as eBooks. Right now there are about 42,000 public domain books available for free.
The best thing, I think, about Project Gutenberg is that they are committed to making these books readable on any device. They always try to get the books in as many formats as possible such as PDF, EPUB, Mobi, HTML and, yes, even Plucker. Of course, getting the books out in plain text is first priority.
The books they currently have are great, recognizable titles. Their top five downloaded books yesterday (as of the publishing date) were:
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1507)
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1430)
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (833)
- The Comic English Grammar by Unknown (821)
- Grimms’ Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm (724)
You can’t go wrong with Holmes, Grimm, Alice and Jane Austen. You definitely can’t go wrong when they are free!
What’s the first book you are going to get off of Project Gutenberg? Let me know in the comments below!
(Image Credit: Milestoned)